Thursday, October 29, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

In less than an hour, I will turn 21. Ok, not really, I will turn 34. Wow. 34 years old.

As I reflect upon the past year of my life, I think about what this year has held for me. I entered my 10th year of practicing law. What a milestone. I lost my sister-in-law, Amy, to breast cancer. What a tragedy. I began running. What an accomplishment.

October 30 was always such a cool birthday to have. As a kid, I always had a super cool cake - of course it had something to do with pumpkins, spiders or witch hats. As a college student, how could you beat partying on Halloween for your birthday? As an adult, I was lucky enough to share my birthday with my sister-in-law, Amy.

When my husband I first started dating and he learned that my birthday was October 30, I think he was secretly relieved. His sister's birthday was also October 30. Wow, he would never forget that, right? Over the next nine years, Amy and I shared cakes, rousing rounds of "Happy Birthday," and each other's special day.

Tomorrow, Amy would have turned 40. How I wish I could call her up and hear her say, " Hey You, Happy Birthday to Us."

A few weeks ago I made the decision that tomorrow, on my 34th birthday, I would celebrate it by running 17 miles. What better way to celebrate this day, and honor sweet Amy, than to run a half mile for every year that I am old. And, if I am very lucky, and not too tired, maybe I can throw in one to grow on.

So tomorrow, I will be lacing up my running shoes, hitting the trail, and celebrating in a way I never thought would ever happen - with one long, long, very long, run.

Happy Birthday, Amy. Happy Birthday to Us.

4 comments:

  1. Found your blog from Runners Lounge. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to you and Amy and what a treat to be spotlighted at Runner's Lounge today!!!

    I hope you had an excellent run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME Jenn! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Jenn! You are not a diamond in the rough anymore, now you are a beutiful sparkling diamond, and I am so proud of you for working so hard to get to where you are today on your birthday! Hugs, Maria

    ReplyDelete