Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Have Running Shoes, Will Travel

I am presently on a cruise ship bound for Bermuda. I am surrounded by buffets full of overly fattening food and bars that serve tropical drinks that can ring in at 12 dollars and 750 calories a pop.

But never fear. I am not going to let the draw of lounging by the pool on deck nine with a frozen drink in my hand keep me from my marathon training. On tap for today, an easy two miles. Just a recovery run from my 17 miler on Friday.

Two miles, ha. I can find somewhere to run two miles. I just read a story in Runner's World magazine about a trucker that logs in his runs by running around his big rig. Something like 47 times around the truck equaled a mile. See, it just takes some creativity.

So, where to run these two miles? I have two choices: Treadmill in the ship's gym or around the top deck. For my two mile run, I picked the treadmill. I think I'll save the deck for my planned seven miler later in the week.

I head to the gym with a plan to quickly knock out the two miles and follow up with a work out. .25 miles in, I realized I would not need a post run work out. This run WAS the work out.

How to explain? Imagine putting a treadmill on a humongous botsu ball. You know, the workout gizmo that is half ball and half flat surface. The gizmo that my trainer uses to torture me and my abs. I spent the entire two miles working to keep my balance on the treadmill. Talk about using your core... A running core workout... Maybe I am on to something...

Don't get me wrong, for all of the two never ending miles of an ab workout, I had an amazing view. Miles and miles of inky-blue waves spreading out in front of me as we blazed our way across the Atlantic Ocean.
Three thoughts followed ...

1. How can I steal this scenery and bring it back to my gym in Alexandria, VA? I could use some of this beauty when temps take a nose dive in the upcoming months.

2. How much longer? These two miles were a lot harder than I thought they would be. My abs are going to "thank" me later.

3. How far is the pool bar from this treadmill? Maybe I can cut this run short and count the distance from the gym to the pool bar in my total mileage. I think a tropical drink is calling my name...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn! I just read your open mic interview on RL and was so touched by your story. Best of luck in your marathon training and enjoy that cruise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your training aboard the ship. I always heard that jump roping was a good exercise to do while confined in close quarters...don't know if it would help your situation or not, but might not hurt...that is if you can find a jump rope.

    Oh,I saw the profile pic you had...what kind of shoes are you running with? Have you heard much about Nike Free running shoes?

    http:/barefootrunningshoes.org/nike-free-shoes/

    I'm thinkig of maybe getting into running again, but need a good pair of shoes...

    Grab that tropical drink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scenery!

    ReplyDelete