Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Running with a Hero

At 6 am on Friday morning, very, very, very early (what in the world was I thinking when I made these plane reservations?) I will board a plane.

Where am I going? I am going home. To Texas.

I am going to run the San Antonio Half-Marathon!!!

Back in January, only two weeks into my "marathon training" (I use the term "marathon training" loosely because at that point, I was doing good to be able to run one 15 minute mile without stopping), my baby brother returned from 15 months in Iraq. It was then that I did my first real long run.

That morning, the first day Patrick was back on U.S. soil, he got up and ran with me. I was one lucky sister - I had an Army Hero as my running buddy. He kept me going that morning and together we ran for 45 minutes without stopping. Never mind the fact that we were probably running 15 minute miles. Never mind the fact that he was capable of going so much faster. Never mind the fact that he was pushing me the entire way. He stuck with me. He gave me what I need to realize... oh my goodness... I REALLY CAN DO THIS!

This weekend, almost eleven months later to the day, I will run the San Antonio Half-Marathon. And guess what? I will have an Army Hero as my running buddy. My brother Patrick, a soldier with the 3rd Armored Calvary Regiment stationed at Fort Hood, Texas, a Purple Heart recipient, will be running beside me.

Some things never change.

And some things do. Unlike before, I will not run a 15 minute mile. Unlike before, we will go much, much faster. Unlike before, he will not need to push me to finish.

I've been teasing him for weeks that I will beat him this weekend. Truth is, I won't. Just like 11 months before, we will stick together the entire time and just like 11 months before, we will pull into the finish at the same time.

Happy Veterans Day to all of our brave military men and women out there. I honor and thank you and your families for the sacrifice you have made and the service you have given to our country.

I run free because of you. What a gift. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment