Sunday, November 8, 2009

Who's gonna run this town?

I live in the Washington D.C. metro area. Washington D.C. boasts the highest number of lawyers per capita - 276.7 lawyers per 10,000 residents to be exact. It also boasts the highest concentration of politicians, people that "run" this town... or at least think they do.

D.C. has more to offer than just lawyers and politicians. It has beautiful parks, monuments, and most importantly (at least to me presently) great running trails.

Over the last month, I have ramped up my mileage on my weekly long runs, offically crossing over from the the half-marathon distance of 13.1 and entering the realm of 15 - 20 miles. With this "promotion" came a change of running venue. Historically, I did my weekly long run around my neighborhood or at the local park. Recently, I've had to re-think that choice of venue - the thought of circling past the neighborhood Chili's 4 times is not that appealing.

In an effort to get away from Chili's, every Saturday morning for the last month or so, we load up, drive into the District, and run 13+ miles.

Yesterday, my run began at Teddy Roosevelt Island. I ran down the Mount Vernon Trail along the Potomac River. As I approached Gravelly Point Park, planes passed just 100 - 150 feet above my head as they landed at Reagan National Airport. I looped back and ran over the Memorial Bridge towards the Lincoln Memorial, past the Washington Monument, the National Mall, and the U.S. Capitol. That, ladies and gentleman, is what I get to experience on my long runs. How lucky am I?

This got me to thinking. As folks rode past me in groups - on bikes, "Roll the City," on Segways, "Seg the City," I wondered, what about people that want to run the city? A quick google search upon my return home confirmed the fact that someone else also had this idea - for $60 you can pay someone in Washington D.C. to take you on a 3 - 4 mile run.

In this economy, who wants to, let alone can justify, spending money to have someone take you on a run? Coming to D.C.? I volunteer. Let me be your virtual tour guide. As I ramp up my mileage, I seek out new runs each week. There is something about fresh scenery that keeps you going as the miles tick by. I will share these runs with you.

Where ever you are out there - do you have runs to share? Whether you live in Providence or Portland, there has to be amazing runs in every one's home town. Rather than paying someone $60 to show you those amazing runs, what if you could just adopt one from a fellow runner?

As my long run came to a close yesterday and Georgetown University came into view across the Potomac, I had one thought -

Who's gonna run this town?

I am.

Wanna come?

*****************
Along the Potomac and into D.C. - 17 Miles

Begin your run at the Teddy Roosevelt Island Parking Lot and run along the Mount Vernon Trail. Head towards the Memorial Bridge and Washington Reagan National Airport. As you run along the waterfront, you can see, on your left, Georgetown University and the Kennedy Center. Pass under the Memorial Bridge and as you hit mile 3, planes will roar 100 feet overhead as they land on the runway at Reagan National Airport. Run past the airport and turn around as you hit mile 5. Run back along the Mount Vernon Trail to the Memoral Bridge. Arlington Cemetary will be on your left as you turn to run over the bridge at mile 11. Run past the Lincoln Memorial, along the Reflecting Pool, and past the Washington Monument as you hit mile 13. You will enter the National Mall and run past the Smithsonian Castle, National Air and Space Museum, and National Musem of the American Indian. At mile 14 you will run in front of the U.S. Capitol and down the other side of the Mall. You will pass the National Gallery of Art and the National Museums of American and Natural History. You will finish your run as you cross the Memorial Bridge for a second time, hitting your 16th mile and closing with 17.

Below is a link to my run on Garmin Connect. Enjoy!

Garmin Connect - Activity Details for Along the Potomac and into D.C. - 17 Miles

3 comments:

  1. $60 to go for a run? That's nuts! I think your tour is far better anyway. Nice job with your long run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough, my training partner and I were going to run 17 miles in DC on Nov 1, but changed our plans due to the weather. It was rainy, and since we were going to take the Metro we would have been stuck in wet clothes the whole ride back! (We live in Annapolis)

    We're going to try again this Sunday for our 19-miler. It's nice to go on field trips for some of these long runs to keep things interesting! We're doing a 2/1 Galloway if you'd like to join us :)

    I found your site a couple weeks ago thru the Runners' Lounge and have been meaning to comment. I'm running Disney too (Goofy Challenge -- eek!). It'll be my second marathon, but the first with a half the day before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Goofy Challenge - eek is right! My brother in law is running the Goofy too. After his first marathon, he said he would never run 26.2 again. After he decided to run Disney, I reminded him of this. He promptly registered for the Goofy, I guess he figures a half on Saturday and a full on Sunday is NOT another marathon.

    Good luck on your 19-miler this Sunday. You can't beat running in D.C. (Although I will tell you - the Annapolis 10 Miler was one of my fav races this year). I will be running the San Antonio Half-Marathon this Sunday. Like you - I like "field trips."

    See you at Disney! The 60-day count down starts tomorrow. Whoa!

    ReplyDelete