Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Best Race Yet

This weekend I ran my best race yet.

I did not place in the top of my age group.
I did not run a PR.
I did not run without walking.

I ran with my three little nephews at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. We ran in honor of their Mommy, Amy.

As I lined up at the starting line with my family around me, tears came to my eyes. Amy should be here. She should be wearing a t-shirt that says "Me & My Family for the Cure." She should be running with her boys, her husband, her brother, her family. She should be running with me.

I hate breast cancer.

Amy was with us as we ran those three miles in Oklahoma City. She was with us as Wynn, Jax and Bennett ran their little legs off. She was with us as we all took turns carrying Bennett on our backs when he got too tired. She was with us as we ran to the cheers of our family. She was with us as we crossed the finish line together.

I ran this 5K in my slowest time yet, 46 minutes and 33 seconds. I averaged a 14 minute 59 second pace.

I ran beside some of the people that mean to most to me in this world.

Like I said, this was my best race yet.






















1 comment: