Monday, October 12, 2009

Hello Old Friend

This last month and a half has been the craziest that I have had in a LONG time. Between foreign bank account filings, the September 15 extended corporate filing due date, IRS e-File, and new procedures for "check the box," my life has been turned upside down at work. I know, I know, it just sounds so darn fun and exciting you can hardly contain yourself. I know I can't. Oh the life of a tax attorney.

But seriously, the life of a tax attorney has gotten in my way. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a workaholic. One of those girls that makes little lists every day of all she wants to accomplish. And sets out to do it. Even if it means staying at work until 9 pm ... and then working at home later that night.

I have to tell you, this workaholic thing just doesn't fit with the new "running Jenn."

I have done my best over the past month to keep up with my training program for Disney. I take my running stuff to work and hope to get out of there in time for a quick run before it gets too dark ... as if. I've cut down my training schedule to three days a week so I can try to possibly complete each week ... as if.

So after this last month and a half of crazy work Jenn, I decided to say enough. After getting another nasty-gram from HR about how I should be taking vacation (Studies have shown that employees that take vacation are more productive. Thanks, HR, for that intel. I'm too busy being productive to take a vacation, thank you very much.) I took the day off.

Yes, it is true. I took a day off. And I didn't have a reason to do so. No family was coming in town. I wasn't going anywhere, I didn't have a dentist appointment. I truly took the day off.

What did I do with this glorious day off?

Did I sleep in? Well... yes of course.
Did I get a manicure and a pedicure? No... I wish.
Did I clean my house? No... I hired a housekeeper.
Did I go shopping? Nope.

I went for a ten mile run.

And I actually enjoyed it. I headed out to Burke Lake Park on a beautiful afternoon. As the sunlight streamed through the trees and the only sound around was my feet hitting the trail, I couldn't help but smile. I'm hooked. I love to run.

Hello old friend, I've missed you so much.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm....I have an idea! Maybe running Jenn should take off Friday so that she can do a fun-birthday-run with me! Kid has school in the morning and hubby took half day so that we can party it up with you! Its true. Running and a power drink!?!?! Common!

    ReplyDelete