Sunday, October 25, 2009

My Wish

Today my best gal pals, along with thousands of other runners, will run the Marine Corps Marathon. And I will be there cheering them on to an amazing finish.

Last night, we all gathered at Leesa's house. After a yummy "carbo-load" dinner, we sat down to strategize when and where we would see our runners. My goal: see my girls as many times during the race as I can. The outcome: We'll have a hook up at Miles 4, 10, 15, 19, 23 and the finish. Its an ambitious plan. But for my girls, I am going to make it happen.

Although I hate to admit it, a teenie-weenie part of me wishes I was running it with them. However, I made the decision months ago that my first marathon had to be Disney - it had too much symbolism for me. So I threw myself into what historically I do best: Cheerleader.

When it comes to the MCM, I fancy myself as somewhat of a Cheerleading Aficionado. I have cheered on numerous friends and family at "The People's Marathon" over the past eight years I've lived in D.C. I'm not happy with just seeing my runners at one spot - its a race for me too. My goal is to see them at every place I can. And I'm good at it.

I can't help but love it. I love the spirit of this race, I love the course, with all of the monuments, I love seeing the military men and women running in honor and remembrance of our fallen, I love the patriotism, pride, and inspiration, and I especially love seeing runners cross the finish line.

What I don't love is seeing runners at the finish line who are suffering, whether it be from injury or fatigue, I've seen some pretty scary scenes. I always hope and pray that once those runners get home, they get better.

I can't wait to cheer for my runners today. For them, and all the other runners, I have one wish: a good run with a healthy finish.

So listen up Leesa and Kim - run your best race today but keep in mind, you're going to be expected to raise a glass in a toast to your success later tonight, AND, more importantly, run another 26.2 miles with me in two months.

I'll be seeing you soon - just look for me. I'll be the crazy girl at Mile 4, 10, 15, 19, and 23 cheering her heart out.

1 comment:

  1. Girrrrll...I could NOT have done this race with out you, the master of cheerleader logistics, which, I might add included a 2 year old! Each stop you were so "on it"...cheering me on as if you were on some sort of candy high (maybe you were eating some of the power jelly beans!?!?) and ready to keep me going. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart! You are the best cheerleader I could EVER ask for! I love you girl!
    All I can say is this...."WHERE THE * IS MY WIFE????" kidding...I had to throw that in there.

    ReplyDelete