Wednesday, October 21, 2009

One Person's 5K is Another's Marathon

I have a friend named Jenni. Jenni and I have lots in common.

Besides the obvious, the same name (come on, we were born in the Jennifer-lovin' 1970s), we share a love for some of the same people. Jenni was one of my sister-in-law, Amy's, best friends. Like me, Jenni was not immune to Amy's inspiring influence. Like me, Jenni started running earlier this year. Like me, Jenni is NOT athletic.

On October 3, Jenni, along with Amy's family and friends, ran the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Houston in honor of Amy Ellis Oliver. Jenni trained for this race for nearly ten months.

A few days ago, my husband and I were driving in the car and I thought about Jenni. I wondered out loud. Wow. Ten months of training for a 5K. Do you think she will keep going? Run more 5Ks? Run longer races?

My husband reminded me of what our friend, Jeff, always says: "One person's 5K is another person's marathon."

I have a friend named Jeff. Jeff and I have nearly nothing in common.

We love some of the same people and going to wineries. That's about it. Jeff is an amazing runner, I'm not. He runs 100 milers like I run 5. Jeff's "marathon" is a race with a distance I can't even begin to imagine running. Despite the fact that he has run countless ultra-marathons, he always celebrates my running accomplishments. "A 10-miler, Jenn, that is awesome!" "A 3-hour finish time for a trail half-marathon, great job!"

One Person's 5K is Another Person's Marathon.

Jenni ran her heart out on October 3. Maybe she will keep training, run longer distances. Maybe she has run her marathon. Regardless, I am so proud of her.

Jenni documented her race with a beautiful video. I share it with you below.

Watch the video. Think of Jeff's philosophy. And I ask you -

What is your marathon?


2 comments:

  1. So I have to comment on my own post - Jenni sent me the cutiest note, with a clarification to my post and an answer to my queries. Gotta love me some Jenni!!!

    *****
    Jenni writes -

    how cute are you???!
    just a small clarification. i started walking a year ago. never even imagined running. i committed to running in may. so technically 5 months of actual training. and i needed every single day of that training to feel as strong as i did :) and, YES. i will still run. no great aspirations to do a BIG marathon or anything. but, i would love to maintain my 5 mile a week regimen. i have officially turned into that weird person who goes to the gym during a vacation (??!), will run on a weekend away trip with friends (huh?), and will think at random moments, "i should run today" (hello? who am i?). and, as my video says, i will never forget the ONE person who finally inspired me to even try. every time i lace up those shoes i remember my friend. it's my way of keeping amy's memory alive and a reminder of her great impact in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE this post Jenn! Awesome! Jeff and you also like one other thing in common...shopping for cute clothes. Dont take this the wrong way, but both of you can be outfit junkies. Its true. With that being said, I certainly dont mind considering I get your hand-me-downs! That video ROCKS Jenni! Good ole' Jenni S. does it again!

    ReplyDelete