Tuesday, October 20, 2009

New Shoes, Round 2

Experts say you should replace your running shoes every 300-500 miles or every 4-5 months.

I've been running ten months now. I replaced my first pair of shoes, my Asics Gel Nimbus 10s with another pair of Nimbus 10s back in June. Since that time, I've run two half-marathons and logged well over 300 miles. It was time for a tune up.

I headed down to my local running store. Now that I am a seasoned runner, I wanted to have an knowledgeable conversation with a shoe fitting professional.

My first, and only, shoe fitting resulted a great pair of shoes, not that I assisted in that process. I don't really think you can call the feedback I gave to the clerk "helpful." "Well, these shoes you just handed me are nice... I like the colors."

So here I am, at the running store, and I start my conversation with the clerk.

Me: "I'm training for my first marathon."
Him: "Nice"
Me: "I've been wearing Asics Gel Nimbus 10s, but I'm interested in trying out a new shoe."
Him: "OK. First, tell me what you liked and didn't like about the Nimbus 10s."
Me: "Uhhhhhhh???"

What did I like? Ummm, the colors? Oh no, not again! Think, Jennifer, Think. What do you like about your shoes? Besides the colors?

I was at a loss. I had to admit it, and I did. And then my eye caught a sign hanging on the wall. Oh the shame! Ten months of training and I still cannot tell you how I feel about my running shoes.

Me: "I can tell you that they don't hurt my feet... and that's about it."
Him: "It's OK, that's what I'm here for, to help you figure out what you like and don't like in a running shoe."


I walked out of the running store a proud owner of Asics Gel Nimbus 11s. Along with my new shoes I also took with me the knowledge of two things: 1) that I like these shoes because of the wider toe box due to the way they lace up, and 2) that the likelihood of a career in running shoes is not in my future.

Silly girl, you CANNOT buy running shoes by the color.

No comments:

Post a Comment