Thursday, July 30, 2009

Will run for beer!

This past Saturday I ran the Crystal City Twilighter. This race took you though downtown Crystal City and up towards the Pentagon after the sun went down. Despite the fact that a pre-race down pour got us all wet, I had a blast.

As I ran across the finish line, I decided that this race was the trifecta. Why? Simple.
  • The race was a nighttime race with a start time of 8:00 pm. Finally, a race that you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to run! Not to mention that the temperatures dropped dramatically as the sun went down.

  • The race was a 5k - a distance that worked perfectly into my training schedule. When you've been logging 10+ miles at a time, 3.1 miles is such a welcome distance! After running 10 miles that morning, 3.1 more miles to the end of my evening didn't kill me.

  • As you crossed the finish line, sure you had your usual selection of bottled waters, but you also had your selection of beers! Yum!

I've been diligently looking for more nighttime races. As a night owl, I'm hooked! So, Crystal City Twilighter, I'll see you again, same time, next year.

Until then, take a look at the course video (I've included the link) - watching it left me strangely tired... and craving a beer.

Cheers!



2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Running at night beats 7 am in the morning any time! That beer looks good! Do they give them out during the race?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had I known you were going to run this race I would have come home from MI early! Super cute girly! XOXO

    ReplyDelete