Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Do you think the clerks in running stores know I have no idea what I am doing?

They totally know.

I needed to get some running shoes. My Nike tennies from 2006 were just not going to make the cut when a person is logging several miles (YIKES) in a day.

Brian takes me to my local running store and tells me to bring my old shoes with me. The clerk is going to want to take a look at those shoes. What the hell for? To see how crappy they are? Apparently, a shoe-fitting professional can look at the way your old shoes have worn in and determine if you have a special need that should be filled by your new running shoes.

So off to the running store we go. The clerk takes one look at my beat up tennies, goes to the back and pulls 20 pairs of shoes out for me to try on. What happened next, I can only describe as similar to going to the eye doctor. You know, when he puts a lens in front of your eye and says "Which is clearer, A or B?" And in response you ask, "Was there supposed to be a difference?"

(Note to the clerk: I generally pick my shoes by what they look like. Cute colors - perfect, I'll take them!)

I try on countless shoes. I have to walk in them, I go outside and run down the block so the clerk can watch my feet run in the shoes. She explains the difference in each shoe. Some are lighter, some have a wider toe box, some give more arch support. ACKKKK! My head is spinning. Ultimately I go with the Asics Gel Nimbus 10s - I cannot tell you why. I do not know. Flashbacks to the eye doctor ... which lens? A? B? A? B? I just picked one!!!

Three things I've learned from this:

1) Shoes should not be judged on cuteness alone.

2) I really feel like a runner when someone asks me what shoes I use. I casually reply, "Asics Gel Nimbus 10s." I've perfected the knowing nod when they tell me they use some other brand that I should probably know about.

3) There is nothing better than running your first mile in brand new shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment