Tuesday, July 28, 2009

All dressed up and nowhere to go

Several years ago, when I was enjoying the height of my couch potato lifestyle, I spent a lot of time justifying my choices not to exercise. I'm tall and curvy. No matter how much I diet or exercise, I will never be one of those size 2 gals. I'm fine with that. And on and on. While discussing this fact with my sister-in-law, she made a good point: I may never be one of those tiny Barbie girls, but with the right exercise, I could be a tight and toned curvy girl. According to Amy, the best way to tighten and tone your lower body was to run. Hummm, tight and toned sounded good. Running, not so good. And so my existence as a couch potato continued.

I'd forgotten about Amy's advice until a few weeks ago. My husband and I were in the process of cleaning out our attic and I stumbled upon the dress I wore my junior year to the prom. I opened the box and there it lay in all its purple satin and gold lamé glory. It blinded me with its sequins and gold rosettes. I only had one word - "Wow." (My husband only had one word too. However, his was "Horrendous.")

I had flashbacks to 1993 when my mom and I picked out this dress. I thought it looked hot. I thought I looked hot. As I looked at the size tag, I figured it would be funny if I tried it on. I knew it wouldn't fit, but what the heck. Since my husband's first impression of the dress was that it was horrendous, he would get a laugh if I tried to squeeze into it.

I pulled the box down from the attic - the dress, the purple dye-to-match shoes, and the huge purple clip-on rhinestone earrings. As I stepped into the dress, I was shocked. Was it going to fit? Yes, I think it will ... it zipped ... and its too big!

I've still got a long way to go before I would call myself "tight" or "toned." But ladies, sorry to brag, but I CAN FIT INTO MY HIGH SCHOOL PROM DRESS! This amazing state of affairs occurred when I wasn't even paying attention. I've been so concerned about training for my marathon, I wasn't paying attention to anything else. What an unexpected treat!

For your viewing pleasure, I've included a pic of my date and me at the prom. My dress was such a fashion statement that my date wore a purple tux jacket to match. Now, if only I can find an event in Washington D.C. where a purple and gold lamé mini-dress is appropriate, I'm set to go. Finding that event just might prove easier than getting my husband into a purple tux jacket to match.

Until then, I'll hang on to that dress. No, not that I think I will wear it again, but because it is just another milestone on my way to 26.2.

Next stop, baby pink 8th grade promotion dance dress ... Color: light pink. Design: lace, puffy sleeves, full skirt. Size: tiny. Hey - a girl can dream, can't she?!?


2 comments:

  1. J, I am so proud of you! You are doing great. I love your blog.
    Love you, S

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO STINKING WAY!!!!!!!!!!! Hillarious! Wish I was there for the pedicures this weekend!

    ReplyDelete