Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Man's best friend? Mine is still in bed!

As I head out on my long run, weekend after weekend, I am greeted by a familiar sight - fellow runners who are heading out for their run, kept company and cheered on by their furry best friend.


One thing that always strikes me about these running duos is how extremely happy each dog looks to be running alongside his or her owner. At the end of the run - that happiness is still there. As the dog's owner does her best to catch her breath after a 5, 10, or longer mile run, her dog sits there lovingly looking up, begging for more. That's man's best friend for ya.


Then there is Stella. Stella is our English Bulldog. Don't get me wrong, she is a great companion ... when you are doing things like laying on the couch, laying in bed, laying anywhere, Stella is there, right beside you.


I guess you could say our interests differ slightly. I'm set on running 24 miles a week. Stella is set on sleeping 24 hours a day. Its gotten to the point that we have to make Stella wake up to eat her breakfast - she's groaning and moaning (yes, bulldogs do groan and moan) the entire time.


Each weekend as I set out on my run, I think of little Stella, back home in bed. I wish I could bring her out here to run along side of me. I have resigned myself to the fact that that will never happen. Stella is just not an athletic dog.


Although she will never be out there running beside me like other runner's dogs, Stella is still worthy of the title of "Man's Best Friend." After I finish with my run, she is always there patiently waiting for me to get back.


And when I do, she's ready to take a nap.








1 comment: