Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I happen to like my running music, thank you very much

Every guy I ever dated, including the one I married, claimed that I have terrible taste in music.

Whatever.

I love my running playlist. It totally captures my taste. I love every single so-called "terrible" song on it. Where else could a person find a mix of Britney Spears, OutKast, Linkin Park, and Stone Temple Pilots? My ipod shuffle holds nearly three hours of music that keeps me going mile after mile.

I've read that music with 170 to 180 beats per minute is the best for running - you'll get in one step per beat, which should make you run faster. Although I haven't counted the beats per minute in each of the songs on my running play list, I can tell you - they do make me run faster.

I run to the same songs, in the same order, every time. I finish three miles in the middle of Def Leppard's "Lets Get Rocked" (flashbacks to dragging Main Street in high school), "Harder to Breathe" by Maroon 5 comes on just as I start mile five (how appropriate!), and the Tom Petty classic "I Won't Back Down" (total motivation) comes on in the middle of mile eight.

As I have increased my mileage each week, I look forward to hearing what song will be playing as hit my new distance mile marker. Unfortunately, this song, what ever it turns out to be, stays in my head for a few days - at least until my next run.

I can officially report that I have "Hot in Here" by Nelly in my head. Playing over and over. and over.

As I neared 10 miles last week, I was excited to hit that distance and keep going. Every step past 10 miles is a step further than I had ever been in my life. What song would be playing as I took those first steps? Almost as if the playlist planned it, "Crazy in Love" by Beyonce, ended just as my watch reported 10 miles down. What came on next - Nelly... Wow.

Its getting hot in here so take off all your clothes...

As I began my week, sitting in meetings, that song continued to play in my head. Conference call with a client - "Its getting hot in here..." Team meeting - "Its getting hot in here..." (you thought I was going to say - "So take off all your clothes..." No, not a thought I want to have in a Team meeting. ACKKKK!!!)

I am gettin so hot, I wanna take my clothes off ...

Thank goodness I run a half marathon this weekend. 13.1 miles - further than I've ever run before. Which means: new mileage = new song. WoooHooo! I can't wait to hear what that new song will be.

Nelly, Nelly, Nelly, you are great to run to, but the aftermath has not been fun. No, it is not hot at work, and No, I do not want to take my clothes off. Sorry, Nelly, I love you, but you've got to go.

3 comments:

  1. I pride myself in being a progressive guy; my brilliant wife is the family bread-winner, as well as the perenial fantasy football winner of the household. I am the first guy to argue that men aren't from Mars and women aren't from Venus--we are both equal, powerful and capable, and a lot of the differences between us are cultural and flexible.

    I am, however, guilty of being a picky jackass about music. And for that (and for the rest of my brethren), I apologize. While I don't tell my wife that her music taste sucks, I do try to stealthily change the channel in the car when we're listening to the radio. I can't help myself.

    I would say, though, that there's absolutely nothing wrong with Outkast, or Stone Temple Pilots, for that matter. Have you run to "Hey Ya!" or "Interstate Love Song"? Great, great songs to run to.

    As far as finding your cadence easily (without having to count strides), check out the Hella Sound Stride Rate Finder MP3. All you have to do is load it into your iPod and run. When it hits a rhythm that syncs with your stride, you've found your stride rate. Easy.

    From there you can go to JogTunes, Remenant's "Best Running Music Ever", or our music at Hella Sound Running Music.

    Good luck on your halfie! I wonder what your songs will be as you finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lord, my comment was almost as long as your post! My bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. daythammynet
    Class College Education training Beauty teaching university academy lesson  teacher master student  spa manager  skin care learn eyelash extensions tattoo spray

    ReplyDelete