Thursday, August 6, 2009

It's a perfect day

I start each of my runs with the same song: "Perfect Day."

On this perfect day, nothing's standing in my way
On this perfect day when nothing can go wrong
I love this song. I love it because it "perfectly" sums up how I feel when my run is good and it makes me feel better when my run is not.

When I press play on my ipod and this song begins, I I think about the Cherry Blossom 10 miler. This race was run in downtown D.C. amongst the snowy pink and white cherry blossoms. It was a beautiful crisp morning and as I ran around the Tidal Basin and Jefferson Memorial on roads usually reserved for cars and tour buses, I felt like I owned the city. I ran my first 10 miles that day. What a perfect day.

Its the perfect day, tomorrow's gonna come too soon
I could stay, forever as I am on this perfect day
I think of the Mount Vernon Trail, running from George Washington's estate along the Potomac on the day I ran my first 8 miles. Running on a trail along the water, watching the sail boats and the families on bikes pass by. What a perfect day.

And most recently, running on the I-66 Trail, across the river from Washington D.C. under weeping willows and metal bridges with views of the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, and the Kennedy Center. I ran the farthest I've ever run so far. What a perfect day.

Don't get me wrong. Not all runs are perfect. Oh, let me think - running in Houston in 100 degree weather with 10000% humidity. Running the hills along Kingstowne Village Parkway. Running along Van Dorn Street when I almost was hit by a car (Don't even get me started about the cellphone driver-talker who wasn't paying attention when I clearly had the WALK! No, I'm not bitter about that at all.)

However, all I have to do is listen to that song and it brings back memories of the runs that were perfect.

I'm in a race but I've already won
And getting there can be half the fun
Oddly enough, I had a dream a few nights ago that I was asked to be in a wedding, along with a college friend of mine. Our task - sing "Perfect Day" as the bride walked down the aisle ... while wearing hot pink dresses (it was us in the hot pink number, not the bride). I think my brain might be telling me to knock off the "Perfect Day" song for awhile. Sorry, Brain. That's probably impossible.

So don't stop me till I'm good and done
Don't you try to rain on my perfect day
On this perfect day, this perfect day

No comments:

Post a Comment